Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a condition that causes tingling, numbness, and weakness in the hand and wrist. It occurs when pressure is placed on the median nerve—a nerve that runs along the length of your arm, runs through a passage in the wrist called the carpal tunnel, and ends in your hand.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Symptoms and Complications
Common symptoms of the syndrome include:
- Discomfort in the form of burning, tingling, or numbness (typically in your palm and thumb or index and middle fingers)
- Loss of mobility, coordination, and grip strength
- Impaired nerve impulses
- A tingling sensation that travels up the arm
Regenerative Medicine Treatments for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
The effects of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be frustrating, and if left untreated, can worsen and lead to nerve damage. Common treatments can range from wearing a splint to limiting the range of mobility, steroid injections, and even surgery in the most severe cases. However, splints and cortisone injections often only treat the symptoms of the condition and are temporary, while surgery of the wrist can be risky and involve a lengthy and painful recovery. Thankfully, our experienced staff at USA Medical Research Institute offers drug-free and minimally invasive alternatives that address the root of your Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Platelet-rich Plasma Therapy
In this procedure, we draw a small amount of your blood and isolate the platelet-rich plasma using a centrifuge. This substance is rich in platelets, proteins, and growth factors and is essential in the healing process. Therefore, when injected into the ailing wrist or wrists, it deploys these factors and recruits additional cells to speed up the healing process. As a result, it can reduce the pain and inflammation associated with Carpal Tunnel, improve hand and wrist function, and significantly decrease the need for surgery.
Regenerative Tissue Therapy
Regenerative tissue therapy makes use of Wharton’s Jelly-derived regenerative tissue safely obtained from umbilical cords in planned cesarean births. This tissue is naturally rich in healing properties such as peptides, growth factors, proteins, and hyaluronic acid. Therefore, when this young, viable tissue is directly injected into the wrist, it stimulates the body’s natural healing response. Similar to PRP, this results in a reduction in inflammation and pain with a simple procedure, minimal downtime, and little to no side effects.
Common Causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome may be brought on by:
- A fracture, dislocation, or other trauma to the wrist
- Pregnancy or menopause (often due to fluid retention)
- Rheumatoid arthritis or other autoimmune disorders
- Gender (as women are more likely to be affected)
- Repeated movement that overextends the wrist
- Poor positioning of the wrists (often from typing)
- Prolonged exposure to the vibrations in hand or power tools
- Certain lifestyle factors (such as a high BMI, high salt intake, a sedentary lifestyle, or being a smoker)
If you are interested in a safe and natural remedy to your Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, give us a call today at (949) 673-3154 for a free consultation.